Court Proceedings family law advice DrummoyneMinors Family Law can assist in the event that you and your spouse are unable to come to an agreement in relation to any family court matters.

We can provide you with family law advice regarding filing or applying for financial orders against your spouse as well as representing you in The Family Court where necessary.

What Are Court Proceedings?

Court proceedings are generally initiated after a relationship separation where parenting agreements and division of property or other monetary assets need to be decided upon. This can happen in one of two ways:

  • Either formally or informally divide up your assets between you and your spouse, which doesn’t require attending family court, or;
  • If you can’t reach an agreement, you can request court orders in regards to property settlement, child support and other spousal maintenance.

Regardless of the situation, most couples would generally prefer to resolve their disputes without the need for lengthy court proceedings. However unfortunately, this is not always the case as complex family dynamics make things a little more difficult to manage without professional legal representation.

Personal circumstances vary between relationships and families in which our team of law professionals possess extensive knowledge and experience within family law.

Depending on which specific matter you’d like to request orders for, the processes for child support, spouse maintenance and the division of assets may differ.

Oftentimes great family law advice can influence couples to make a second attempt at resolution as they become progressively involved in court proceedings.

It’s important to know that both parties may negotiate an agreement even after the court process has begun. If an agreement is reached during this time, the matters can be settled much earlier and far less costly.

The Court Proceedings Process Explained

  1. An application which includes several documents is filed to request the commencement of court proceedings.
  2. If the application is approved by the court, it is then served upon the responding spouse or his/her lawyers.
  3. The First Court Event will be appointed in which the attendance of both spouses is required.
  4. The responding spouse must file in response to the matter.
  5. Proceedings will begin whereby each party have stated their position on the matter at hand with the goal of reaching an outcome through negotiation and mediation.

The complexity or severity of your legal matters may require couples to partake in what are known as pre-action procedures. These are compulsory if your matters proceed in The Family Court of Australia and aim to resolve disputes informally first if possible.

Contact Minors Family Law today – your local Inner West family court lawyers to learn more about the court process and how we can help resolve your legal matters.

Do You Need More Information Or Family Law Advice?

Do You Need More Information Or Family Law Advice?

Get In Touch With Us